As of now, the country has only one international airport where the visitor wants to enter through flight. However, there are domestic flights within Bhutan to Bumthang in central Bhutan, Yonphula in eastern Bhutan and Gelephu in south-central Bhutan.
The Drukair and Bhutan Airlines operates several flights per week from Bangkok (Thailand), Kathmandu (Nepal), Dhaka (Bangladesh), Delhi, Gaya, Bagdogra, Guwahati, Mumbai and Kolkata (India) and Singapore to Bhutan`s Paro International Airport located in the western part of country. When the weather is clear, the flights offer spectacular views of the highest mountains in the world. Paro Airport is situated at a elevation of 2,250m above the sea level and it`s surrounded by mountains and sometimes flights into Paro are disrupted because of weather conditions.
Phuentsholing, a Bhutanese town in the south west and Samdrup Jongkhar, a Bhutanese town in south east are the only overland border entries open to international tourists. The town of Phuensholing is located about 170km east of the Indian domestic Airport Bagdogra, West Bengal. Phuentsholing is 179 km from Thimphu the capital city of Bhutan and is about 7 hours drive distance.
Samdrup Jongkhar is only entry point in eastern Bhutan, open for tourist. The journey from Guwahati, the capital city of Assam is 110km and it takes approximately three and half hours to Samdrup Jongkhar. Then, we will drive to Trashigang, the largest district in the country, and from Mongar, Bumthang, Trongsa and Wangdi Phodrang we will enter to western part of Bhutan.From Sumdrup Jongkhar to Thimphu, the capital city of Bhutan we have to cover around 700kms.
INFORMATION on VISA PROCESSING
Tourists from India, Maldives and Bangladesh nationals can obtain a visa at the point of entry on producing a valid passport with a minimum of 6 months validity.
For other nationalist, the visas are granted when your booking is made confirmed and upon payment of full tariff and visa fee to the respective local license tour operator, directly or through a foreign travel agent. All visa application for tourist is submitted by the respective tour operator in Bhutan.
Once your trip is confirmed by making a full payment, we required the following details for processing your Bhutan tourist visa by 4 weeks prior to the date of travel to Bhutan.
- Scanned Copy of Passport
- Permanent Address, and
Tourism Council of Bhutan (TCB) will approved the visa once the full payment is transferred in the TCB`s account.At your point of entry you will be required to show your visa clearance letter, the visa will then be stamped into your passport.
The visa fee is US $40 per person and all visas are issued from Thimphu and extension can be also obtained from same place, at a cost of Nu.1000.
The Royal Government of Bhutan sets minimum selling prices for packages to Bhutan and this must be paid in US dollars prior to arrival in Bhutan
The minimum tariff for tourists travelling in a group of 3 persons or more is as follows:
- Low Season Tariff – USD $200 per person per night for the months of January, February, June, July, August and December.
- High Season Tariff – USD $250 per person per night for the months of March, April, May, September, October and November.
The minimum daily package covers the following services:
- A minimum of 3 star accommodation (4 & 5 require an additional premium)
- All internal taxes and charges (including the royalty)
- All Meals
- All travel with a licensed Bhutanese Tour Guide, English Speaking.
- All Internal land Transport
- Camping Equipment and Haulage for Trekking Tours
The rates given above are applicable per tourist per night halt in Bhutan. On the day of departure, the ‘local agents’ host obligation shall be limited to breakfast only and any extra requirements shall be payable on actual basis.
The minimum daily packages rates shall not include the following:
- Air fare
- Airport Taxes
- Visa fees
- FIT Surcharges for one and two persons
- Medical Expenses
- Tourism Development Fund
- Insurance coverage
Tourists travelling in a group of two persons or less shall be subject to a surcharge, in addition to the minimum daily package rates.
There are as follows:
Single individual – US$ 40 per night
Group of 2 persons only – US$ 30 per person per night
The 10% agency commission payable to agents abroad shall not be deductible from the surcharge. The surcharge will not be applicable to representatives of foreign travel agents on business study or promotional visit duly approved and cleared by TCB.
- There shall be no charge for CHILDREN up to the age of 5 years. However, those between the ages of 6-12 years accompanied by elders/ guardians shall be given 50% discount on daily rates and 100% discount on Royalty. This Royalty is currently set at $65 per day.
- Full time STUDENTS below the age of 25 years, holding valid identity cards from their academic institutions, shall also be given a 25% discount on the Royalty.
- A discount of 50% on minimum daily package shall be given to one person in a group of 11 people. 100% discount shall be given to one member in a group exceeding 16 persons.
- A 50%discount on Royalty shall be provided after the 8th night and 100% discount on Royalty shall be provided after the 14th night.
- Visitors availing discounts under Sections A & B shall not be eligible for discount under D.The detailed information on Druk Air flights, tour and trekking programs, festivals, places for interest, hotels etc can be obtained from the Tour Operators.
Tour Cancellation Policy
The tours booked and subsequently cancelled will be subject to cancellation charges as follows:
- Within 30 days or more before the arrival date in Bhutan – No charges
- Within 21 days before the arrival date in Bhutan – 10% of the rate.
- Within 14 days before the arrival date in Bhutan – 15% of the rate.
- Within 07 days before the arrival date in Bhutan – 30 % of the rate.
- Within 04 days before the arrival date in Bhutan – 50 % of the rate.
- Less than 03 days or without notice – 100% of the rate.
- After arrival in Bhutan – 100%.
- An administration fee of USD 50/- will be applicable for all cancelled tours, once we issue the VISA.
Delayed Arrival or Departure
There is no charge for delays in arrival and departure because of weather conditions disrupting flight or roadblocks. The tourist must however bear the cost of food, accommodation, transportation, and other services required.
Druk Air Cancellation Policy
Drukair tickets will be subject to cancellation charges as follows:
- 100 % refund permitted for the tickets cancelled more than 30days from the date of travel.
- 50 % refund permitted for the tickets canceled between 30 – last 10 days from the date of travel.
- Cancellation made less than 10 days from the date of travel, no refund.
- No cancellation charges will apply on infant fares.
- An administration fee of USD 25/- per ticket will be applicable for all cancelled tickets, once we issue the tickets.
Bhutan Airline Cancellation Policy
A. Cancellation Policy:
- 75% refund permitted for tickets cancelled more than 30 days from the date of travel.
- 50% refund permitted for ticket cancelled between 30 – last 10 days from the date of travel.
- 25% refund permitted for tickets cancelled prior to 3 days from the date of travel.
- Refund not permitted for tickets cancelled less than 3 days from the date of travel.
- No charge if the date change is made more than 3 days from the date of travel.
- USD25 or BTN1500 or INR1500 will be charged if the date change is made less than 3 days from the date of travel.
C. No show:
- No refund for cancellation
- USD50 or BTN3000 or INR3000 or equivalent per Pax per segment for no show reschedule.